Columbus Family Law Attorneys Help Indiana Residents Handle Changes
Accomplished firm represents clients in divorce and custody proceedings
Handling a family law matter correctly requires deep knowledge of the relevant legal standards and a true understanding of a client’s situation and needs. The attorneys of Thomasson, Thomasson, Long & Guthrie, P.C. take the time to listen to the people we serve so we can provide individualized advice on divorce, custody, adoption and other domestic matters. From our office in Columbus, our experienced attorneys help men and women overcome what are often painful challenges and make positive new starts.
Proven lawyers advise on adoption, child support and parenting coordination
Our firm delivers creative, practical guidance on legal issues that affect you, your household and the people you care about most, including:
- Adoption — While adopting a child should be a joyful event, there are many potential complications and pitfalls that could result in substantial heartache. We are compassionate advocates who assist families with the documents and procedures required for domestic and international placements. Whatever option works best in your case, you can be confident that you are in good hands.
- Child custody and visitation — When divorcing spouses have minor sons or daughters, establishing suitable child custody and visitation terms can be heart-wrenching. Our divorce lawyers advocate for your parental rights so you can raise your children in a fit and healthy home.
- Child support — Both parents share in the responsibility of supporting their child no matter what the state of their relationship might be. Whether you’re in the process of setting an initial child support rate or looking to enforce an order that’s in place, we are committed to securing an appropriate result.
- Child support modification — Child support payments remain the same unless and until the court modifies the child support order. If either the custodial or noncustodial parent experiences a significant change in circumstances, we can guide you through the proper legal procedures to modify child support payments accordingly.
- Divorce — Our attorneys stand by you throughout your divorce. We obtain the best possible results in court or at the negotiation table, and we have extensive experience handling issues such as the fair distribution of assets, the division of a marital home, child support payments and child custody rights.
- Juvenile delinquency and dependency — If your son or daughter has been accused of misconduct or Indiana authorities are interfering with your parent-child relationship, you need a dedicated lawyer who knows how to cut through bureaucratic red tape. Regardless of the events that led to the problem, we are capable of protecting your parental rights and your child’s future.
- Mediation — Mediation puts the decisions in your hands and often provides more expedient, predictable results than court trials produce. The skilled negotiators at our firm can help you obtain a favorable divorce settlement, while avoiding the time, expense and aggravation that typically accompanies litigation.
- Prenuptial agreements — As you marry your beloved, you may not foresee the potential problems that can lead to divorce. It’s our job to expect the unexpected and draft premarital agreements that safeguard both spouses’ interests. Having an agreement in place can alleviate the burden you face should you decide to end your marriage at some point.
- Parenting coordination — Parenting coordination protects children from suffering a negative experience due to their parents’ conflict and assists mothers and fathers who seek to resolve disputes in a timely manner and without unnecessary court intervention.
Each family is different and so is each family law challenge. Once we learn the details involved in your situation, our lawyers can give you an informed assessment of the best way to meet your needs and estimate how long the process might run.
Skilled advocates assist with modifications of existing family law orders
When a legal error has been made in a family law matter, a party does have the option to file an appeal. However, it’s advisable to seek the counsel of a seasoned attorney before taking action, because reversals can be difficult to obtain in these cases. However, modifications to existing orders can be granted when a significant change occurs that affects the fairness of a child support, custody or spousal maintenance order. Through decades of combined experience, we have become well versed in the types of situations that often lead courts to enact changes.
Contact a compassionate Indiana family lawyer to set up a consultation
Thomasson, Thomasson, Long & Guthrie, P.C. assists Indiana clients with various types of family law concerns, such as divorces and child support matters. To speak with a qualified attorney regarding your situation, please call 812-565-5041 or contact us online. Our office is in Columbus.